Manager Mine Production Underground - SMA
||Full Time - Permanent
||Australia - South Australia
|| | Cen. Australia Daylight Time
|| | Cen. Australia Daylight Time
At BHP Billiton we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential.
With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
Join Olympic Dam a safe, reliable, globally competitive business delivered by our people. At Olympic Dam we care that everyone goes home safe to do the things they love. We believe Leadership drive culture and culture drives performance. All incidents are preventable and everyone has a role to play.
BHP’s Olympic Dam is one of the world’s largest ore bodies with significant deposits of copper, gold, uranium and silver. With a workforce of around 3,500, the scale of the Olympic Dam orebody means it is a cornerstone of the resource industry and a generational resource for South Australia. The operation is currently in an exciting period of sustainable growth. Through significant investment in infrastructure and with a move into the high-grade Southern Mine Area (SMA), the Olympic Dam operation will underpin jobs and economic development in South Australia into the future.
The move into the SMA forms the foundation of Olympic Dam’s long-term expansion plans, and successful tests of the heap leach copper extraction technology have the potential to support an increase in production to over 450,000 tonnes of copper a year. A dedicated team of approximately 180 people have accelerated the development of the Southern Mine Area over the past 15 months, with first ore produced in September 2017.
About the role
Reporting to the General Manager Mine, you will become a key member of the Mine Leadership Team, actively providing leadership and direction to achieve Health, Safety and Environment (HSE), cost and volume performance, through the effective execution and analysis of production activities – for the SMA, Mine Area and the Olympic Dam Operation as a whole.
In this role you will:
- Be first and foremost focused on creating a culture of care by being a visible safety leader, engaging, developing and coaching your team.
- Provide input to 5-Year Plan objectives and budget, driving performance and implementation accordingly.
- Drive organisation, cultural and innovation change for the Function.
- Drive consistent expectations, understanding and application of Production processes.
- As a Risk Owner, be responsible and accountable to ensure that critical controls are managed so that the material risk is maintained in a well-controlled state.
- Identify, build and develop Production talent and capability, including a pipeline of talent for key positions.
- Demonstrate the confidence to lead by example, hold yourself and others accountable and coach others in ‘Safety Leadership’
- Demonstrated experience at management level, managing, developing and mentoring large and diverse teams
- Sound understanding of Contractor Management
- Proven ability to influence and mentor others in HSEC principles and behaviours
- Global perspective and understanding of the mining and processing industry
- Tertiary Degree in Mining Engineering or related discipline (ideally complemented by a Business Management qualification)
- Necessary statutory requirements in line with Resident Managers Certification from the relevant state mining department.
Supporting a diverse workforce
At BHP Billiton, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people.
We know there are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options; a generous paid parental leave policy; other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.
How to apply
Please apply online before Sunday 26th November
Reference Number – 40336164
Please note, screening and interviews may take place prior to the advertised close date.
We support flexible work at BHP Billiton. Talk to us about the flexible working options in this team.
Refer to a friend