Mechanical Engineer (Lead Mechanical & Rollingstock) | IO Asset | Port Hedland | FIFO or Residential Roster
||Full Time - Permanent
||Australia - Western Australia
|| | W. Australia Standard Time
|| | W. Australia Standard Time
At BHP Billiton we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
As the Lead Mechanical Engineer you will be responsible for directing and coordinating technical support, advice and solutions within the Railroad department specialising in the field of railway mechanical and rollingstock. Reporting to the Superintendent Engineering Governance and Technical Stewardship, you will take an active approach in achieving sustainable long-term, measurable improvements in performance and efficiency by reviewing and improving operating and maintenance procedures and processes.
Your duties will include:
- Leading and championing development and governance in the railway mechanical and rollingstock area
- Partaking in technical audits to ensure the railway mechanical and rollingstock assets are maintained as per Rail Maintenance Standards
- Participating in ongoing development and trials of new components to improve reliability or reduce costs
- Ensuring engineering solutions identified to address reliability issues reduce system faults and are commissioned without unplanned safety and business impacts
- Supporting and adhering to the 1SAP work management process and ensuring all blueprint changes are managed through the change management process
- Actively recommending and implementing improvement, risk reduction and cost saving initiatives
- Ensuring project designs meet engineering design standards and are the right solution for the business
- Supporting the development of the capital plan for the railway mechanical and rollingstock improvements
- Providing leadership, mentoring and guidance to all direct reports
Skills and Experience
As the successful candidate you will possess the following:
- Tertiary qualifications in Mechanical Engineering with demonstrated technical and professional skills within the mechanical and rollingstock discipline
- Strong communication skills with the ability to coach and mentor a high performing team
- Computer literacy with Microsoft suite and computer based planning systems
- Influencing and negotiating skills with the ability to build credibility and trust across all levels with internal and external stakeholders
- Proven commitment to safety
- Minimum of C class manual drivers licence
With this role, you have the choice of either being residentially based in Port Hedland or fly-in fly-out from Perth to Port Hedland on a 5/2 4/3 roster. Port Hedland is home to our port and rail operations and is the largest regional centre in North West Australia. The 20,000-strong population enjoys well-established education services, entertainment, shopping and medical facilities.
The excellent sporting and leisure facilities include; a new aquatic centre, sports stadium and water play park. Its beaches and mangroves are home to an abundance of fish and other wildlife. Within driving distance are the spectacular Broome, Karratha and Karijini national Park.
Remuneration and Benefits
Join us and be rewarded with interesting, challenging work in a supportive team culture. Develop skills for life whilst enjoying access to benefits including: incentive bonus, award winning share scheme, education assistance and a generous parental leave policy, which now includes Superannuation contributions during parental leave.
Supporting a diverse workforce
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people.
We know there are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options; parent rooms, and a generous paid parental leave policy, which now includes Superannuation contributions during parental leave.
Reference Number – 40309881
- We reserve the right to commence recruitment proceedings immediately
- This opportunity is currently only open to candidates with the right to work in Australia
- BHP Billiton Iron Ore is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages indigenous Australian and female candidates to apply
Refer to a friend