Lead Engineer - Electrical
||Full Time - Permanent
||Australia - South Australia
||MCOE - Project Functions, Maintenance/Mantenimiento, Engineering/Ingeniería, Projects/Proyectos Mayores
|| | Cen. Australia Standard Time
|| | Cen. Australia Standard Time
At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential.
With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities in operations and major projects. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where all team members feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and join BHP Minerals Australia Projects Group at the Olympic Dam, a safe, reliable, globally competitive business supported by motivated people. At Olympic Dam, we care that everyone goes home safe to do the things they love. We believe leadership drives culture and culture drives performance. All incidents are preventable and everyone has a role to play in safety and success.
It’s an exciting time to be at Olympic Dam! In FY16, we exceeded 203 thousand tonnes of copper production, which is a record under BHP ownership. And, unlike other copper mines, Olympic Dam’s copper grade is increasing – so as we move into the Southern Mine Area, we’re accessing the 70% of the orebody that hasn’t been touched in the first 25 years of operation.
This grade opportunity provides options to increase production at Olympic Dam through low-risk, capital efficient underground development and optimisation of underground and surface infrastructure. So we’re looking for some truly exceptional candidates to study, and plan for future growth options to ensure Olympic Dam grows in a safe and sustainable way - delivering value for generations to come.
About the role
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, this role is accountable for the technical evaluation and engineering deliverables for the electrical areas of major brownfields projects within BHP Olympic Dam.
This is an Adelaide based role.
In this role you will:
- Contribute to and monitor all trade-off studies and engineering scope optimisations being implemented across all areas by the Owners team, the Engineering Contractor and third parties
- Monitor the quality of the development and the timely delivery of the area specific engineering and engineering deliverables for the electrical design area.
- Coordinate the timely input and output and delivery of electrical engineering deliverables and data
- Provide engineering expertise, and coordinates other discipline engineering resources deployed into the project, for the development of engineering deliverables within the electrical area.
- Monitor and report the progress of specific key area engineering deliverables so that schedule slippage can be mitigated
- Provide engineering input to value improvement practices for the power and electrical control area.
- Collaborate with Operations (Engineering, Maintenance and Production) to ensure end-user requirements are incorporated into the engineering deliverables for the power infrastructure area
- Lead and develop a culture of Zero Harm
- Degree qualified in Electrical Engineering
- Experience in the mining, mineral processing or heavy industry sector with exposure studies in major multi-disciplinary projects
- Knowledge of engineering standards and requirements applicable to large capital grown expansion related to a mining or mineral processing operation
- Experience with the deployment of process control strategies and Management Information Systems
- Experience with technical document reviews and approvals, engineering management and supervisory of third party engineering providers
- Understanding of Safety in Design principles, statutory compliance and risk management
- Comfortable working across multiple levels within an organisation from operators in daily operations to senior managers
- Ability to mentor and develop others in the fit-for-purpose engineering standards
- Leading by example; hold yourself and others accountable and coach others in “Safety Leadership”
Supporting a diverse workforce
At BHP we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people.
We know there are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.
How to apply
Please apply online before 31 August 2017
Reference Number – 40369698
Please note, screening and interviews may take place prior to the advertised close date.
We support flexible work at BHP. Talk to us about the flexible working options in this team. Think Big!
Refer to a friend