Mt Keith - Geotechnical Engineer
||Full Time - Permanent
||Australia - Western Australia
||Engineering/Ingeniería, Mining/Mina, Operations/Operaciones, Processing/Procesos, Geotechnical/Geotecnia, Geology/Geología
|| | W. Australia Standard Time
|| | W. Australia Standard Time
The health and safety of our people and our host communities is a value that drives the way we work. Our consolidated commitment to achieving the highest level of safety performance stands at the forefront of our planning, actions and behaviours
Geotechnical Engineer – Mt Keith
- Family friendly roster 7 days on/7 days off Roster
- Competitive salary on offer plus 12% superannuation and a range of company benefits
- Nickel West value and respect employees, offering an inclusive and diverse environment
We currently have a fantastic opportunity for a Geotechnical Engineer to join our team. Reporting to the Technical Services Superintendent, the key accountabilities will include but are not limited to:
- Ensuring the open pit mining operations, waste dumping, stockpiling activities and all active mine areas are designed and maintained to control risks associated with geotechnical hazards.
- Leading geotechnical safety in the development and review of safe operating procedures.
- Completing daily mine inspections and reporting of key geotechnical information, hazards and control performance.
- Providing timely and appropriate advice on geotechnical issues to mine operations personnel.
- Conducting audits to verify that all geotechnical procedures are carried out as defined in the Slope Control Management Plan.
Skills and Requirements
- Tertiary qualifications in Geotechnical Engineering/Engineering Geology
- Knowledge in soil and rock mechanics and groundwater hydrogeology
- Experience in open pit operations
- Excellent understanding of risk based slope stability tools; ground support methods, monitoring instrumentation installation and interpretation of data
- Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to significantly contribute to an experienced team
- Current C class licence
Company Description - Nickel West
A member of the BHP Billiton Group, Nickel West produces nickel in-concentrate and has its operations located throughout Western Australia - comprising of mines, concentrators, a smelter and a refinery.
Nickel West Northern Operations
Nickel West Northern Operations is made up of the following operating mines and plants:
Mt Keith is located 460 kilometres north of Kalgoorlie in the Northern Goldfields and is comprised of an open pit and concentrator plant. The operation is surrounded by pastoral stations, with the nearest townships being Leinster and Wiluna. Cliffs Underground Mine is also located just south of Mt Keith.
There's plenty to keep you entertained in the Mt Keith Village. Take the heat off the day and head to the pool – or join in a game of footy. BBQ dinners are regularly held and other social activities include live bands and movie nights. Employees commute to and from Perth on a fly in / fly out roster.
At Leinster, approximately 85 kilometres south west of Mt Keith, there is another concentrator, open pit and underground mine. This is also part of the Northern Operations along with the Leinster town ship (retail and residential) and FIFO village.
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
On offer is a range of employee benefits including development and career opportunities together with competitive remuneration package, including share options, generous superannuation contributions, 18 weeks of paid parental leave, performance based bonuses and a great working environment.
Short listing for this position will commence on 5th of May 2017, however we do reserve the right to close this position earlier than stated. To enable us to process your application as quickly as possible simply click on the 'apply' button below.
Please note: It is a requirement that all internal applicants advise their immediate line manager of their application.
Refer to a friend